Top 5 Burger Joints in KL, you must not miss!

Today’s guestpost is by my buddy Ulric, who does not have a blog, but he might as well have, since he knows so much more about food than many folks I know. That’s right, Ulric describes himself as a burger addict, and here are his Top 5 burger joints based on his own honest opinions and tastebuds.

Look around KL and PJ, and you will find it hard to ignore the various gourmet burgers joints that have sprouted up faster than a skin rash on a hot day. These joints have different combinations of meat patty, buns, add on ingredients and condiments, but they essentially stand for one thing. Cheap gourmet burgers (less than RM20), rolled out faster than you can say Bugger (or burger) it!

P6301793-001

So, here we are in the thick of things. Burgertopia is not for the faint hearted. Read on to see which Top 5 made my list of must eats.

1. MyBurgerLab

The first of the fad and still the best. Fluffy charcoal buns with smashed beef patties and grilled chicken paired with a myriad of well-thought out ingredients and sauces, giving each burger it’s own flavour-profile and hence it’s own uniqueness. Believe me, I’ve tried 10 different burgers in one sitting, so I know!

P1010732

One of my favourite is the Beautiful Mess (smashed beef patty, fried Portabello mushroom, a sunny side-up and mozzarella cheese). The juiciness of the portobello pairs superbly with the savoury beef and the runny fried egg. It’s up to Version 5.0 now using fried Portabellas and sharp cheddar instead.

P1010731

Next up, let’s rock n roll. The Elvis (smashed beef patty, blueberry n peanut butter jam, cheese and caramelized onions). Love the simple flavours of this burger. Sadly this is not on their menu anymore. Bring it back please! *a cry from someone who used to be a non-lover of blueberry and peanut butter*.

P1010755

Their rosemary-tossed fries are among the best (crisp and fluffy) but don’t forget their awesome Portabello Fries (crisp on the outside and juicy on the inside). Never will I be bored of snacking on them. Their bottomless drinks are a big plus too.

P1010697

However, be aware that once you enter the Lab, you will exit smelling of burgers. The Lab can also be cramped and noisy and not forgetting the more-than-often crazy queue that you will have to endure, but in the end is usually completely worth it.

Add:
My Burger Lab @ Seapark,
14, Jalan 21/22, Seapark, Petaling Jaya.

NEW! Their latest outlet :
MyBurgerLab OUG,
Jalan Awan Hijau, Overseas Union Garden, Off Old Klang Road, Kuala Lumpur.
Open for dinner, except Mondays.

2. Burger Junkyard

This is the one that I visit the most often, because it’s only a 15-min drive away from my workplace and I am friendly with the partners.

Their burgers are more classical with a twist. Slightly sweet and buttery brioche buns with beef patties and char-grilled chicken thighs (not-be-missed caramelized goodness) meshed with well-thought-out ingredients and sauces. Their steamed cheese is a one-of-a-kind combo of pressed cheddar, processed sharp cheddar and smoked mozzarella melted together and poured onto your burger just before being served. Since I am a frequent visitor, I have tried the entire menu including most of the speciality and mystery burgers. To enjoy their burgers, go for their regular patties or thighs (180g) option instead of half-size (90g).

P1010060

My favourite is the flavour-complex Buffalo Soldier (char-grilled chicken thigh, Buffalo hot sauce, celery sticks, tomatos and a scallion root sour cream). You can switch between chicken and beef, but I highly recommend trying their chicken thigh. This has the magical combination of sweet, sour, spicy and savoury.

P1010061

Another great eat on the menu is the Balsamic Beefin’s Onions (beef patty, steamed aged cheddar, caramelized French onion chutney, pan-roasted tomatoes, pickled beetroot, garden greens and a balsamic raisin sauce). Love the contrast of the sweet pickled beetroot against the beef patty and caramelised onion chutney.

P1010062

The environment in Burger Junkyard is hugely comfortable. A colourful graffiti wall contrasting against a white junkyard-themed wall with tables well-spaced apart. It’s a guarantee that you will not smell of burgers after chomping down the burgers here. And the crowd is not as crazy as MyBurgerLab.

P1010110

However, drinks are not bottomless (they come in the usual bottles and cans) and their skin-on fries are not as good as MyBurgerLab, although that can be remedied by ordering their special garlic aioli and tomato concasse sauces to go with it.

Add:
Burger Junkyard,
16, Jalan PJU 5/20D, The Strand, Kota Damansara.
Tel: 03-6143-4305
Open noon-3pm, 6pm-10pm, closed Sundays.

3. The Grind Burger Bar

This non-halal burger bar has the most varied menu featuring burgers, hotdogs, meatballs, pasta etc. Alcohol is served here too.

P1000510

A red brick wall, a red brick long bar and some ingenious lighting, goes a long way, and I find that this place has a vibe that appeals to me. Tables are spaced well apart and the kitchen is self-contained so you will not exit this place with your clothes screaming burgers.

P1000505

They also serve the best onion rings of all the gourmet burger joints that I have tried so far. The onion rings are wonderfully crisp and non-greasy lightly-battered exterior that appeals to the onion-ring monsta in me.

P1010177

Back to the main attraction, my favourite here is their JD Burger (pork patty, secret Jack Daniel’s sauce, crisp pork bacon, natural cheddar, crisp green, onion silvers, fresh tomato and mayo). With the addition of a runny egg, this is an instant classic for me.

P1010668

Time to walk the dog…the Big Black Dog that is. A fat pork bratwurst sausage with a diameter as large as a 50 cents coin (the old version of the 50 cents coin), served on black charcoal buns topped with chilli pork, natural cheese, mozzarella and fresh onions. Love the chewy resistance of the bratwurst, just before it gives way to blend with the cheese , chilli pork and the fluffy charcoal bun.

P1010181

The Swedish meatballs here deserve an honourable mention. Dressed in house gravy and served with Lingonberry jam, some of my meatball-loving friends have stated that the pork and beef meatballs served here are better than Ikea’s. (Ciki butts in here: Never liked Ikea meatballs anyway!)

P1000645

However, drinks at this joint are not bottomless. On weekends, the parking can be horrendous, due to the proximity of Kanna Curry House nearby and the I’m Spicy Thai restaurant next door.

Add:
The Grind Burger Bar,
7, Jalan 17/45, Section 17, Petaling Jaya.
Noon-3pm, 5pm-10pm

4. Burgertory

The first of the non-halal burger joints, Burgertory serves the best pork patties and mean beef patties to boot. Their décor was entirely DIY and fashioned with the tools on display near the ordering counter.
P1000105

The long benches and industrial-type lighting gives a rather soothing touch. Still, ventilation is not the best. As a result, you might end up slightly smelling of burgers after your meal here.

P1020555

My favourite here is the Burgetory Treasure (pork patty, cheddar mild cheese and crispy pork lard). The texture of the well-seasoned pork patty contrasts nicely with the melted cheese and the crispy pork lard.

P1000232

Next up is the Beef Cheese Fondue. This is essentially a beef patty with cheese fondue. A simple burger, but I just love the way the cheese fondue oozes over the mean beef patty.

P1020511

At Burgetory, the onion rings are very good, close to the standard set by The Grind Burger Bar. Their mozzarella sticks are also good, but after having some supply issues, they decided to start making their own. I am quite looking forward to tasting them in the near future.

P1020516

Recently, they have introduced salads as part of their repertoire. I have tried their Pork Belly Salad and it’s not bad at all. There is talk of a new menu, either this week or the next, so I am looking forward to a revisit or two.

Add:
Burgertory,
8A (First Floor), Jalan SS15/4D,
Subang Jaya.

5. KGB

One of the newer burger joints, KGB is located at a prime location in Jalan Telawi 2 just next to Milk and Butter. A corny name no doubt, that stands for Killer Gourmet Burgers.. but we heard that the burgers might be up to the mark.

P1030114

Their décor is quite pleasant but space is at a premium. Kudos to the use of mirrors to increase the perception of a larger layout. A visit to KGB will not make you smell like a burger monster that’s for sure. There is the Shack, Bash, The Tornado,The Bobcat burger, and The Kickin Chicken burger to name a few creative line ups.

P6301793-001

The Tornado is an interesting ensemble of grilled patty with fried egg, onion rings and a fiery mayo. And if you have time, do not forget to try the Kimchi with Bulgogi Beef Fries.. heartstopping and insanely addictive fries drenched in tasty fat.. what’s there not to love?

P6301792-001

I rather appreciated their signature ‘KGB’ fluffy buttery buns. A nice touch I would say.

P1030118

My favourite pick is their Kickin’ Chicken Burger (parmesan-crusted chicken, sharp cheddar and wasabi mayo). Moist and juicy chicken breast, paired together with the slow-burn wasabi mayo is such a fine combination.

P1030121

However, they do have some inconsistency issues with their beef patties. Drinks are not bottomless here but they serve bottles of Cokes, Sprite and Fanta Orange. Bottled beers are also available too. Will be back to sample more KGB burgers if I am in the neighbourhood.

P1030155

This list of the current top 5, is of course, by no means exhaustive nor static.. there will be more incoming gourmet burger joints, and some have already opened even as we pen the concluding lines on this post. For example, The Burger Factory, Bert’s Jr, Big Chomp, Big Hug, Go Burger Kitchen, Nom Nom Chomper, Burger.it, Crayon, Smashies Burger, the soon-to-be-opened KissBurger and many more to come. As for me, my next target will be YummyLicious (which currently does deliveries only) and their crab meat patty, as well as their Force-themed Vader and Yoda burgers.

I reckon it is safe to say, that burgerholics, this is your era. Let the good times roll.

Add:
KGB Killer Gourmet Burgers @ Telawi Bangsar,
23, Jalan Telawi 2, Bangsar Baru, Kuala Lumpur,
Tel: 03-2201-1220
Open 5pm-11pm, except Tuesdays. Should open for lunch starting July.

About this week’s Guestwriter:

Ulric describes himself as bit of an oddball, who reads historical books, take photographs of and salivates over good food. He is also a fanatic of Japanese food and a true burgerholic. All photos in this post are credited to Ulric (except for some of the KGB shots which Ciki took).

Follow me on Instagram : @agentcikay

Please show us some FB LOVE, thank you!

Comments

1. Nice one! Thanks for putting it all together for us Ulric!

2. Hi Ulric! Your burger post are not only mouthwatering but always help me streamline on what to zoom in on once my burger crave hits. and wow the list of upcoming ones are exhausive!!
    You should write more :-)

3. salivating in seattle says:

Hi Ulric! This is Sam, mei’s friend who lives in Seattle. We are coming back next month. Which burger place is most child friendly? Also, what’s the best time to go? Terrific post by the way, we really need to readed this before coming home!

4. Kit Mun says:

Ulric, any comments on which is the best bun? What do you look for in one? I feel that many are just imitating for the sake of imitation.

• Hi Kit Mun…I like fluffy charcoal n not-too-buttery brioche buns…but most importantly the buns must gel with d rest of the ingredients…some just slap-dash d ingredients together without thinking abt d overall flavours n textures =)

5. The Elvis at myBurgerLab is still available actually. It’s in the hidden menu ;)
    You just have to let the cashier know and she will fire it into the kitchen :D

6. robert ding says:

overrated. isn’t it just all fast food. fast in slow out. straight to the arteries. too much to pay for this, then to see doctor!

7. charlineeliseliew says:

hi ulric. good tasty post. Yummlicious delivers to all over? to kajang?

• Hi Charline…unfortunately no…only in Kota Damansara n surroundings…hopefully they open their store soon…I’ll be among d first customers…lolz! =)

• Only KD ar.. shucks..too bad not my area either.

• We’ll get a chance soon… =)

• Hi there ulric, charlineeliseliew and ciki,

First off, great write up Ulric :) On a positive note, I had tried both myBurgerLab and Burger Junkyard and they’re both awesome! Great burgers served right :) On a negative note, reading this blog post about burgers just right after starting my puasa is quite a torture :p Hmmm, will be thinking about burgers the whole day.

Yes, we don’t have an outlet yet but we are definitely working on it. We do have a limited delivery service in Kota Damansara and surrounding areas. Do check out our delivery menu and give us a buzz if you’re in the area :) https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.335577403202928.76982.191168947643775&type=3

All hail Burgertopia, the land of awesome burgers!

• Awesome Yummylicious! Can’t wait for you to open your outlet, that’s for sure LOL. We don’t live near KD that’s why;)

• Haha…wrong timing on reading tis post…and we will be the first customers to visit ur outlet once it’s open…cose I think u have some interesting n unique creations =)

• Cool, look forward to see you, ciki when we open our 1st outlet, hopefully soon :) Thank you so much for the support ya!

• May burgers be with you! :p

8. hurray for all these burgers! and double hurray for all the burger fans in KL. it’s time to start a formal burger fan club in this city! :D

9. have only had the grind and haven’t visited the others, perhaps one day when it’s not so packeddd

10. Good summary and lovely pics, you should start your own blog, but don’t post burger posts only yeah. Lol.

11. Pleasance Grey says:

Ulric, great read. we are expats living in KL. Have found it difficult to get our hands on good gor. burgers and good onion rings which the boys love. Which was the best place for the onion rings? whats the diff between the grind and burgertory onion rings? Thanks, much appreciated.

• Hi Pleasance…the best onion rings can be found at The Grind Burger Bar…followed closely by Burgertory. The slight edge is the crispness, non-greasiness, crunchiness and the flavour of the onions within combined…hehe =)

12. chin suk wei says:

do all above outlet do takeaway?

13. Great review…I love burgers – beeeef burgers. Tried 2 on the list. Will try the other 3.
    A quarterly or bi annual review to update list would be great…. :)

14. Have you tried the burgers at Milk and Butter? They are yum and are served with two enak sekali mayonnaise varieties. Importantly too, I can eat with my hands, a good yardstick, hate eating those big high ones with knife and fork.

• Nope…concentrated on the joints serving predominantly burgers…will make a visit to Milk and Butter though…thanx for the heads up. And we burger monstas always eat with our claws…oops hands :P

15. Hi..great review.. but it boggles me that with all the nice burger joints a nice place like fatboyz burger in publika is missed out.. I personally think that its right up there with these places. Unless I missed something :P

• Oops…I totally forgot abt Fatboy’s…the first burger joint tat I visited…thrice! However, Fatboy’s still ain’t in my Top 5…based on the overall flavours of the burgers and buns…but if u like them and rate them highly…why not?…since it’s ur tastebuds tat count…not mine or others =)

16. Lovely post. Thanks for the write-up, Ulric.. It helps me to narrow down the list when my friend ask me where do I recommend for burgers… This link has all the info tht they need! ;D

17. Allan Kuah says:

Hi reviewer,

Obviously you have never tasted a “nice” burger in your life, can come out with this post.
    Please la, do a proper research before reviewing.

Sincerely,
    Ramli Burger lover.

• Waah…kena tembak wor…please lar if u like Ramly Burger…go ahead n enjoy them…dun lar say I never tasted a “nice burger” before. If u disagree, please write ur own article on Top 5 street burgers…I will be pleased to check ur Top 5 out =)

• Seriously?? Ramly burgers aren’t even made with 100% real meat. They use bulking additives like soy and contain poor quality cuts of cow which are minced in industrial meat churners with lots of water to further increase bulk before MSG and potassium nitrite (which is also used in explosives) are added to make the meat look and taste vaguely palatable.
      When Ramly burgers are fried, the water comes out and the final patty is about half the size of the original and tough as the leather the cow would have been made into in the first place.
      But, if you like Ramly burgers, please don’t let me put you off it. Some people have stronger teeth than others.

18. Funny, the best burger joint in town for me aint even in the list. The Daily Grind, proper burgers, no gimmicks, home made ketchup.

• Oops…sorry about the misleading title ShaolinTiger…this post is about gourmet burgers tat are less than RM20 =)

19. Afiq Salehuddin says:

Excuse me sir, may I know which of the place is halal? Thank You.

• Hi Afiq…MyBurgerLab and Burger Junkyard are pork-free and do not serve alcohol…just dun have halal cert while KGB are pork-free but serve alcohol and the rest are non-halal…hope tat gives u a clear idea on wat to expect =)

20. How about ‘Bad Boys Cook’ in Ara Damansara? I love the burger there. Do you think they can make it to the top list?

• Hi Chye…oops…I have forgotten to include them in the already-opened list…I haven’t tried them yet…so I can’t include them in the Top 5….but they are in my list for a visit or two =)

21. Hey guys,
    Here’s another Indie Burger joint called Burger Gila Power from Wangsa Maju.

22. these are really good burger in KL rather than the-most-hype-burger-in-KL-burger-bakar. although the lines up are pork-free and also non-halal, good to know that someone have the initiative to sells burgers like these. I hope one day Shake Shack will open their outlet in KL #droll

23. Many people swear by the Pork Burger in D Legends bar. They make their own patties and their own buns.

24. I have done 3 out of 5!
    More to come :)

25. Claudia says:

Fantastic post Ulric! Only wish you had posted this last month when I was back home. Perhaps this could warrant another trip in the not too distant future :)

26. I don’t recommend Burgertory. You got to top up another RM8 for drink and fries. I guess it’s expensive and small portion. Taste average only.

• Hi Kelly…thanx for the feedback…Burgertory has recently increased the size of their patties…they heard our complaints apparently =)

27. Visited Burger Grind last weekend. It’s yummy. Their burger come with set with fries and green salad.
    Like their environment, least not stuffy.

28. Bad Boys in Oasis Ara Damansara shud be in the list. Some of the joints in the list are not even good at all

29. Brandon says:

Hi Ulric,
    Burgertory recently launched their new menu recently.. Do check it out..

30. I vote for Burger Bakar Abang Burn! Especially the outlet in Danau Kota. If im not mistaken they have 19 outlets all over Malaysia!

Cheap gourmet burgers, friendly and fast service…
    They can taylor-made ur burgers up to your liking as well :D

31. I need to spare sometime to revisit burger lab already…but the queue really killing me….so I will still stick to burger junkyard!

• Me too…I heard that they have a new percik burger available in conjunction with Ramadan…hehe :3

• The percik burger is from Abang Burn liaooo. Anyway, tasted odi, the percik burger is called Al-Lazat i think. I had the Al-Lazat Supremo Cheezy :D damnnnnnnnnnn naissssss :D

• Haha…looks like both Burger Junkyard n Abang Burn is offering percik specials for Ramadan…more goodness for us! :3

32. Only been to Burger Junkyard and The Grind Burger will be my next target :)

• Hi Choi Yen…go go go….I m sure u will be pleased with wat they are offering…plus the environment is nice too!

33. Until now I havent tried MBL… haha if no queue then I will go… when will that be, I wonder? :P

34. Benjamin Sow says:

More than half of the lsit isn’t in KL :(

35. Thanks for all the great info on burger joints. I will start this sunday at one of your 5 outlets.

36. Wow!! I guess now Klang Valley peeps are totally spoilt for choice for burgers.. :) Who wants to go for fast food outlets anymore when there’s all these delicious gourmet ones? :D

37. This post has gone viral among my Facebook friends :)

• Heard it went viral across all our social media platforms, thanks to the support of all our readers! woohoo, thank you all! (and of course ulric’s tantalizing post :P )

• Thanx for the compliment unkaleong! Ciki…which is more tantalising…my photos or my description of the taste of each burger?…hehe :P

38. Always great to have a guide of where to go for a good ole burger. It looks like these five are all can’t miss places.

39. I went to The Grind last week and ordered the onion rings since they had been raved about so much. I thought they looked like regular frozen onion rings, deep fried, in the pictures in the post and that was confirmed when the onion rings came. They aren’t anything special – they can be found at at any decent supermarket in the frozen section. Also, since I’m already being picky, they aren’t battered, they’re breaded.

I had the Honolulu pork burger with the pineapple ring and added bacon and it was superb. My sister and mother also enjoyed their burgers. Will definitely be going to The Grind again but will be giving the onion rings a miss. At RM9 a pop for frozen onion rings, definitely a disappointment. Better onion rings can be found at A&W with real whole onion rings inside, not shaped, minced onions which is what the frozen onion rings were made of.

• Weird…I went there five times and loved their onions rings everytime…I like them breaded so its a matter of preference lar =)

• You may prefer breaded onion rings, ordered them five times and loved them each time but that’s not the issue.
        It’s that you raved on about them like they were something special (even going to the point of calling them the best onion rings in all of the burger joints).
        My point in, I expected something exceptional, not ordinary frozen onion rings, bought from the supermarket, fried up and sold to the unsuspecting for RM9 a portion (before tax).

• Incidentally, A&W onion rings which are made with real onions and also breaded cost around RM5.50 a portion and the onion rings from KGB, which I had today, also made with real onions but battered instead of breaded, cost RM6.50. I am fairly sure the KGB ones are made fresh.

• Well I enjoyed them and so did many of my friends who are onion rings lovers…as I said it’s a matter of preference =)

40. Great list but The Grind Burger Bar should seriously be taken off the list.

Okay burgers but the onion rings have been out of stock on several occasions. It really should be taken off the menu.

Noteworthy there is service which is borderline dangerous. They have a Myanmar hoodlum as a waiter there who is rude and happy to pick a fight with diners. No matter what they do to their menu, when the owners don’t realize that their wait staff are keeping customers from going back with his surly and aggressive attitude…good luck to a short-lived venture.

41. Wow– those are some innovative burgers! The blue bun looks almost surreal :) I’m constantly impressed by KL’s diverse food scene when I read your blog. There’s something for everyone, from street food to high end.

42. I personally tried Grind, Bighug, Nom Nom, Burgertory and I can safely say Bighug can easily make it into top 5 if not the best around Klang Valley area. I’d recommend Bighug as the boss there is super friendly and is a great place to hang out with friends after work. ;)

43. Farouq Omaro says:

I’m planning to visit KL in December, your article is much appreciated.

44. Great post, went to KGB today and the burgers and service were fantastic. Worth the trip from KLCC where we are staying and the Bangsar area has a lot of shops and cafes to walk around and explorer while you are out that way. Red taxi from KLCC cost Rm15 each way.

45. Just a little suggestions that you shd include a price range guidance as our living index in KL is getting higher and higher.

46. try german deli in ampang point and will never regret.

47. Renny Chan says:

Hey , very nice reviews !! I would venture to all these places hahaha But also , do try to go to Big Hug Burgers also !! It’s in Subang Jaya and it’s also awesome !! And you love the experience there , you should really write a review for that !! =DD

• Did try twice…but it’s not my cup of tea…the flavours are too generic for each burger…sometimes there is a need to pair different patties with different ingredients…but tats my two cents! :D

48. What about the all time famous Burger Bakar and Ramly Burger? I’m sure that is one burger joint I should not miss out whenever I’m back to Malaysia.

49. Love the post, been to burger lab in the post only, will try others as well. I got one more suggestion, which is the burger factory, just tried their burger once yesterday, juicy and taste very nice

50. Have been to 4 out of the 5. Personally my preference is in this order
    1. Burgertory (Best burger in town and they serve PORK)
    2. The Grind (They serve PORK too)
    3. Burgerlab (hate the queue and waiting time. and no pork)
    4, Burger Junkyard