Trying to find out information on how to apply for tourist or business visa in the Embassy of Myanmar located in Kuala Lumpur? We had difficulty in finding it too. When we did finally find the embassy’s website, there wasn’t much information or directions to the embassy. We had to go in person to find out the details. The shuttling back and forth to the embassy incurs heavy costs in time, money and mental frustration for anyone.
Update 14 October 2013 Visa Application has been outsourced to Ever Fine Travel & Tours. See bottom section
We’re going to save you the inconvenience by putting up the information here and even putting up the Tourist and Business Visa Application forms for download. This saves you a lot of time and money from having to pickup an application form from the embassy, and dealing with traffic jams, getting lost and trying to find a parking (it’s difficult to find parking here unless you park illegally or have someone wait for you). Note that illegal parking on the busy narrow strip outside embassy only perpetuates the traffic congestion. Becareful of the folks sitting on the curb!
Expect crowds outside and inside the embassy compounds throughout the day. Above are Myanmar nationals possibly renewing their passports. They are entering a different section of the embassy. Foreigner visa application counter is located to the left of this gate which is less crowded.
In the embassy grounds, there is a canteen area with 2-3 stalls offering pork-free food, snacks and drinks. There is also a photocopy facility. You can have a meal, chat with the Myanmarese, or watch the Myanmar soaps playing on the television. Outside the embassy, there are hawkers as well.
Visa application schedule
Submission Time: 09.30 to 12.30 (Monday to Friday) – Session ends when the counter window closes not if they close the entrance gate.
Visa Collection: 16.00 to 17.00 (Monday to Friday)
What do you need to bring for Tourist Visa Application (Individual)?
- Myanmar Tourist Visa Application Form (photocopy is acceptable – as mentioned by counter clerk)
- Two pieces Passport photos with white background. Dimensions 4.5cm H X 3.5cm W. One piece required to be glued on the application form. An example of passport photo in slideshow below.
- Front page copy of each passport
- Bring passport and ensure it has minimum 6 months validity
- Copy of Air Ticket (Return) and Travel Itinerary (if applicable)
- Processing Time and Fee (Updated 2013): 1 Day, RM110 per person
- You collect application form in person at the counter (during the mentioned operation hours above) or download it from this page.
- Complete the form and prepare all the items mentioned in bullet point above.
- Submit the form and items above at the designated submission hours. They will keep your passport and collect all the documents. You pay the relevant processing fee and a receipt will be issued to you. This receipt is used for collection.
- Return to the counter on the designated date in the receipt and show the receipt to collect your passport and visa.
- Plan your journey to the embassy minimum 1 hour earlier than your preferred arrival time. Ampang traffic can be horrendously jammed
- Lanson Place is the most strategic place to park and it is legal so you don’t have to worry about a traffic summons. Just pay for the parking at the front desk when you return
- Write your full name and passport details behind your photo
- The counter clerk at the embassy sometimes get grumpy especially closer to closing or lunch time. As long you arrive within the stipulated submission or pickup time, they must take your application
- Take note of operation hours above and public holidays
For other visa applications
Here is the Myanmar Multiple Entry/Business Visa Application Form. In the photo slideshow below, there are images for visa application instructions for
- Tourist (Group/Package Tour)
- Multiple Journey Entry
- Social Visit
- Religious (Meditation)
VISA ON ARRIVAL
It is possible to apply for visa when you arrive in Yangon. Here is a link to Myanmar’s official immigration website for a list of countries which is allowed to apply for visa when they touch down at Yangon International Airport. There is also information on rates, application instructions and forms to download
Visa on Arrival Counter at Yangon International Airport
We do suggest you get your visas done before arriving Myanmar to save you the hassle of queues, forms, using your holiday money and/or worse of all, a rejection at the airport.
Embassy of the Republic of the Union of Myanmar
Address : No. 8(C), JALAN AMPANG HILLIR, 55000, KUALA LUMPUR
Tel : (603) 4251 5595, 42514455, 4251 6355
Fax : (603) 4251 3855
The embassy is located around the corner from Sayfol International School. The school is opposite Lanson Place Serviced Apartments.
Thanks to a reader, we were updated on a recent big change on the visa application venue. We checked out the embassy and Ever Fine in person, and have compiled info for your convenience.
Ever Fine is legit. They take a Rm30 service fee per application. Worth it to you? The embassy struck a deal with Ever Fine so visa applicants do not have a choice but comply. Alternative would be for Visa On Arrival. The new location is convenient for most people since it is located in the heart of KL (instead of Ampang). It is near backpacker hostels, hotels, retail shops, attractions (China town, Masjid Jamek, Courthouses, Merdeka Square etc), popular eateries, and next to the Masjid Jamek LRT junction.
Ever Fine is only taking in the applications and delivering to the Myanmar Embassy for processing. On a regular business day, collection can be done the same day. They are closed weekends but apparently open on Public Holidays (please call to check with them) but collection will be next business day.
A poster on Myanmar Embassy Gate and the old Foreigner Visa Application counter
All visa application forms ready
‘X’ marks the entrance.
Ever Fine is located second floor, through the entrance of Happy Holiday hotel, opposite a McDonalds and approximately 50meters from Masjid Jamek LRT junction. You can enjoy Soong Kee Beef ball noodles or Jai Hind punjabi food amongst many other popular street food nearby.
Ever Fine Travel & Tour Sdn Bhd
19-21, Mezzanine Floor, Jalan Tun Perak, 50000 Kuala Lumpur
Tel: +603 2022 2033, 2026 4075/6/7/8/9 (6 lines)
Email: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Working Hour: 0800 to 1800 hours
Public Holidays: Apparently open but please call to check